Sunday, January 3, 2016

A fitness goal vs. a weight-loss goal

Around the middle of last year, I made some dietary changes because of a heart scare. I thought these changes would improve my health. I also decided that I needed to exercise more often. The exercising happened here and there, but not as often as I wanted it to. This was why one of my New Year’s resolutions for this year was to exercise every day. I want it to be a daily habit.

I am very happy that since I made those changes, I have not had any chest pains or heart problems since. Seriously, 6 months with NO chest pain has been pretty freaking awesome!

But today someone shared with me a “weight loss” tip. And while I appreciated the info (to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 regular meals), this made me think about how the changes I have made might be seen.

Without a doubt, I could stand to lose some weight. I know this. But my recent goals – to eat better and exercise – are not based on any desire to lose weight. They are completely based on my desire to get healthy and fit. Especially fit.

In my sporadic attempts to exercise in the past, I often ended up on the ground or hunched over, huffing and puffing. I know I am out of shape. I used to exercise all the time as a teen and more often as a young woman. That all tapered off after I had kids. I ran a bit here and there, but not for exercise. (Mostly to run after my kids, to catch a bus or to run to a building before they closed!) And, sure, I did calisthenics here and there. But nothing on a continual basis. Nothing constant. And I really DO want it to be constant.

But I’m just so out of shape! Ugh!

I don’t want to be out of shape anymore. I want to be physically fit.

Sure, losing weight would be nice. Dropping a few pant sizes would also be nice.

But losing weight or being skinny are NOT my goals. Being healthy and physically fit are my goals.

I mean, I look at the athletes on American Ninja Warrior and I think, Wow, those people are in shape. They are in prime shape. Top physical form.

I want to be in top physical form, too. That is my goal.

Not losing weight or dropping sizes. Those things are nice, sure, but not what I have my sights fixed on. I have my sights on being healthy and on being fit. I have fitness goals. And I think those are the kinda goals I’ll be more happier to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment