Sunday, October 11, 2015

Routines



I usually have a set of routines for myself. There are the routines during the school week and the routines during the weekend. I have a list of specific routines that I complete every Sunday. Part of them are just for something to enjoy doing once a week and part of them are to get ready for another busy school week.



As I sat at the desk completing one of my Sunday routines, I started to ask myself if this is something I would want to do without if I ever had less time on my hands during my future Sundays to do the normal Sunday routines. Of course, if I had less free time on Sundays, that would mean some of the normal Sunday routines would get removed from my list. Then again, one of the reasons I do these things on a Sunday is because Sunday is less busy. Yes, it IS the day I get ready for the week. It’s the day we prepare for a whole ‘nother week! But it still is not as busy as most days. It just seems like the right day to do these things. But would I be okay with abandoning the newest Sunday routine if I had to?



After some thought, I decided, probably not.



Like I said, some of my Sunday routines are things I enjoy doing, and I enjoy checking in with people I know IRL on one particular site I’m connected with them at. I like seeing what new things they have put up on their pages. I don’t get anything out of this, of course, nor do I expect to. It’s just something that I like to do. These people are kinda important to me so I want to check in with them. (They usually don’t know I am checking in, though!)



I guess some routines are just harder to let go of than most. If I HAD to ditch doing laundry every Sunday, I would GLADLY give that one up! If I had to forego checking the finances Monday through Friday to make sure everything was A-OK, I would be happy to ditch that, too! But reading every day? Watching a show or movie while the kids are in school? Getting up super early on Monday morning so I can enjoy my coffee before the busy day starts? Nope, I don’t think so. Those kind of routines help me to reconnect with my own self, in a way. The reason why I have me-time is because I just need some time to myself to enjoy “me the person” before going back to being “me the mom” or “me the wife.” So I think they are important routines to keep.



So how could checking in with other people I know be important, too? I think it’s important because it’s a chance to remember them again. We don’t normally stay in touch during the week. This is my way of seeing if anything is new with them, even if they don’t know that I happened to pay a virtual visit at their site.

No comments:

Post a Comment